Decoding a Toyota VIN number is not the ultimate key to getting an amazing array of data about a used Toyota, generally referred to as a Toyota VIN Check. However, it can be used to decode the year, make, model, trim package, engine size, and transmission type of a Toyota car. Would you like to decode a Toyota VIN number?
Here is the basis to guide you.
The first thing is to locate your Toyota VIN number. A VIN number is a 17 digits character which is printed in a few different locations on the car. You can access the VIN:
- Through the windshield on the driver’s side, way down at the bottom
- On the sticker placed on the driver’s door jamb
- Under the hood
- Engraved on your vehicle’s window glass (applicable to a lot of vehicles)
- Printed on the engine block
- On your insurance card and/or vehicle registration.
How to Decode a Toyota VIN Number
- The first digit constitutes the country of origin while the second and third digits correspond to the manufacturer.
- The fourth to eight digits represent the vehicle brand, body type, engine size and type.
- The ninth digit is similar to the magnetic strips in paper money and it’s called the check digit or security code. This digit verifies the authenticity of the Toyota VIN and is determined by using a mathematical formula that involves all the other numbers in the Toyota VIN number.
- The tenth digit represents the model year of the Toyota car while the eleventh digit represents the plant of assembly.
- The last six digits of your Toyota VIN represent the production or serial number.
For the 10th digit, below are the model years corresponding to the year of production:
What Else Can You Do with a Toyota VIN?
With your Toyota VIN number, you can do a Toyota VIN Lookup to obtain valuable information about the history of your used Toyota vehicle. Once you have the Toyota VIN number, you can access these information:
- Accident History
- Mileage Records
- Title Brands
- Number of previous owner(s)
- Market Value
- Recalls or Defects
More information can also be revealed by generating the Toyota window sticker by VIN. These include:
- Equipment Information
- Fuel Economy Rating
- Safety Rating
- Current Warranty Information etc.
When Would You Need to Do a Toyota VIN Check?
You may need to run a Toyota VIN Check when:
- You’re about to buy a used Toyota car.
- You want to repair or replace parts of your Toyota car.
- You want to verify the authenticity of the vehicle information disclosed by a seller.
- You want to check if a Toyota VIN has been tampered with or cloned before buying a used Toyota from a seller.